test photo

test photo

Newberg MOPS

Welcome to Newberg MOPS!

MOPS is a grassroots movement that believes moms are world influencers. We believe that incubating hearts and giving just-because-hugs can change the course of history. That’s why MOPS connects moms all over the world to a community of women, in their own neighborhoods, who meet together to laugh, cry and embrace the journey of motherhood. MOPS groups are rallying women to be more honest, to feel more equipped and to find our identity by journeying alongside one another.


MOPS stands for Mothers of Preschoolers, and by preschoolers we mean kiddos from birth through kindergarten. We know it’s a little confusing so let’s just stick with “MOPS.”


We are moms, and we believe that better moms make a better world.

Friday, September 9, 2016

Introducing our 2016-17 Newberg MOPS Steering Team: KELLIE COX



KELLIE COX is our Discussion Group Leader (DGL) Coordinator this year.  She has a very important job, supporting and encouraging each table's DGL.

• Name:  Kellie Cox

• Position:  DGL Coordinator

• Kids/Family: Avalyn, 2.5 years, Grace 16 months

• Favorite thing to do with my family:  Going on family walks.  We live in Dundee so we enjoy walking to Red Hills for a coffee and a cookie then heading to the park to play. 

• What a day to myself would look like:  It would definitely include coffee, a pedicure and going shopping.  Trying on clothes with a one year old and two year old is just about impossible!  I'd hopefully be able to meet up with a friend too, I like some alone time but prefer hanging out with friends more!

• Why I joined Steering:  It's a great way to serve in a ministry that I believe is truly needed.  MOPS is a fantastic way to connect with other moms and feel like your aren't alone in your mommyhood journey.  It also fits in to our family schedule because the meetings are in the evening and childcare is provided at the MOPS gathering so it's not too much of a challenge to serve.  Plus, the fellowship with the other steering members is wonderful!

• What I enjoy most about MOPS:  As I mentioned, meeting other moms that are going through similar stages and phases with their own children is such a comfort and support!  Before I became a mom I was a teacher, so I spent my entire day with people and I loved it.  To suddenly be at home most of the time after my first daughter was born was very isolating.  Having friendships with other moms that I can have play dates and connections with has been so helpful for me.  I know I'm a better mom when I am not feeling isolated or disconnected. 

• What I am looking forward to this year with MOPS:  I have a different position on steering than last year, which was crafts. Crafts was fun, but is was more activity focused rather than people focused.  This year working with the DGLs is exciting to me because its really all about supporting and encouraging all the moms who attend.  I hope to find different ways to help individuals connect with their table group and form long lasting friendships. 

• What this year’s theme “We Are The Starry Eyed” means to me:  My 2 year old asked me as we were in the car one morning, "where did the stars go momma?"  I told her they were still there you just can't see them until it's dark outside.  My answer was not profound my any means but it sort of stayed with me when I thought about our starry eyed theme.  We all know that sometimes in life, things get dark.  But I think its important to recognize the "stars" in life's darkness.  Jesus didn't promise Christians that there would never be challenges or hard times.  But he did promise that he would never leave us or forsake us and he would walk with us through those valleys and dark days.  So being starry eyed to me, means holding on to hope and Jesus even when things are hard.  And noticing the good and beautiful things that sometimes only appear when it gets dark.

No comments: