test photo

test photo

Newberg MOPS

Welcome to Newberg MOPS!

MOPS is a grassroots movement that believes moms are world influencers. We believe that incubating hearts and giving just-because-hugs can change the course of history. That’s why MOPS connects moms all over the world to a community of women, in their own neighborhoods, who meet together to laugh, cry and embrace the journey of motherhood. MOPS groups are rallying women to be more honest, to feel more equipped and to find our identity by journeying alongside one another.


MOPS stands for Mothers of Preschoolers, and by preschoolers we mean kiddos from birth through kindergarten. We know it’s a little confusing so let’s just stick with “MOPS.”


We are moms, and we believe that better moms make a better world.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Meet the 2015 Steering Team...Kellie Cox and Belinda Tanner!

This year we have the fabulous team of Kellie Cox and Belinda Tanner sharing the position of Creativity!  Together they plan and organize the craft activities for our monthly meetings...and have some amazing ideas!

Name:  Kellie Cox

Kids/Family: My husband Isaiah and I have two daughters,  Avalyn (20 months) and Grace (4 months) 

Favorite thing to do with my family:  We live in Dundee so we love walking to Red Hills Market and getting a coffee and pastry to go, then walking to Billick park and playing with Ava (Grace gets to enjoy the stroller :) ).

Where I grew up:  Olympia, WA

Hobbies (what I enjoy doing when a have some time to myself):  Getting creative!  Perusing pinterest and finding a fun DIY for the house or activity with the girls is my favorite!  I also love the occasional leaving kids with hubby and having an evening coffee date with my fellow momma friends!

What I enjoy most about MOPS:  the fellowship and pampering!  The years are fast but the days are long when you have little ones at home and I so appreciate camaraderie of other MOPS moms.  Plus it's a chance to enjoy a nice breakfast (and not do dishes afterwards) sit a a lovely table, hear some wisdom from the speakers, and make something fun or pretty to take home! 

Why I joined Steering:  As mentioned, two of my favorite things are friends and crafts so this seemed like a great opportunity to do both!  I also wanted to stretch myself by stepping into a leadership role.

The theme this year is a Fierce Flourishing.  What that means to me:  Please excuse the sappy metaphor, but honestly this phrase makes me picture a flower clinging to the side of a mountain, choosing to grow and produce beauty even though it takes effort and determination.  And because of the challenging environment, this plant's roots are deep and strong and it won't wither or die when a storm or outside forces come against it. As a follower of God and as a mom, I think you have to have a certain amount of tenacity!  We all know hardship and trials are inevitable in this life.  So we have to choose to make our roots, so to speak, deep and strong so that we can fiercely flourish despite the challenges.  I'm looking forward to digging deeper into what it really means to flourish despite circumstances or hardship.  And I think it will be even more enriching to share this journey with MOPS friends by being vulnerable, having authentic conversations, and supporting one another.  

Name: Belinda Tanner

Kids and Family:  I have been married to my husband husband Monty for 8 1/2 years and we have a 5 year old son Nathaniel. 

Favorite thing to do with family:  Spending time together!  We love spending time at our home gardening, building stuff, playing and taking care of our chickens. (We have 31 and are getting another 50 babies soon!)  We also enjoy day trip adventures and spending time with friends. 


Where I grew up: I was born in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and when I was 11 we moved to South Africa. I moved to USA in 1992 and have lived in Southern and Northern California, Texas, Georgia and Alabama. Most recently I was in Fremont, CA for 14 years. We moved to Newberg in July 2014. 


Hobbies:  The first thing I will do is spend time talking on the phone to family and friends far away.  I can spend an hour or 2 chatting to my sisters in South Africa.  I also enjoy reading, adult coloring, crafts and sewing. My guilty pleasure is to watch a good girlie movie. 


What I enjoy most about MOPS:  I love spending time with Moms who are experiencing the same parenting challenges I am. It is great to get new ideas about parenting and is a great comfort to know that I am not alone and that my child is doing the same things others are doing.
 

Favorite MOPS memory:  I was fortunate to be able to attend MOM-CON IN Kansas in 2013. It really gave me an appreciation for how awesome and widespread MOPS is.
 

Why I joined steering:  I enjoyed last year with MOPS but only really got to know the Moms at my table. I tend to be shy when I first meet people and that can prevent me from connecting. I experienced being a table leader at MOPS in Fremont, CA and LOVED building friendships with the Moms there so I look forward to doing the same here.
 

What I am looking forward to this year with MOPS:  Embracing the theme Fierce Flourishing and exploring what it means to to flourish as a Mother, Wife and Friend.

No comments: